Kai's Birth Story

Kai's birth feels like lifetimes ago, even though it's only been 8 short weeks since he joined us. I'm not sure if it's because he's our third and we've done this before or his birth being so quick but it feels like he just slid right into our family, like he was never not here. I love that. 

There's not much to his birth story, but I still love how it all happened. Saturday June 17, 39 weeks 3 days, I woke up at 10:30 pm thinking I had wet the bed because my water has never broken on it's own, but I realized quickly what it was. The first contractions started then and pretty quick, so we headed to the birth center arriving at 11:20. I hurried inside between contractions and started getting ready for it to be quick. I had done some breathing technique practice before hand and I feel like it made a huge difference with pain management and getting through each wave a lot more relaxed. I felt really strong and was so proud of my body this time. After laboring in the shower and tub for a little I started complaining to Darren that I couldn't do it, but he knew I was in transition and encouraged me to keep going. I love that man. Then I felt the need to push but my body wasn't able to get him out in the tub (like with Wes, too). I really wanted a water birth and was convinced this would be it! But Kai had other plans. My midwife said if I got on the bed he would come so I hurried to the bed, gave a couple powerful pushes and out came his head- with the cord wrapped around it 3 times (!!). My midwife just waited and watched, allowing us to do everything (which I'm so grateful for). That moment in time where they're teetering between heaven and earth is one of the best things in life to experience, in my opinion. With one last push his body slid out falling gently into his daddy's hands, on Father's Day, at 12:32 am. 7 pounds 11 ounces. I was really wiped out and remember Darren saying he's here Linds! almost reminding me to turn around and meet my baby. We were just so completely in love and in shock and amazed at the experience of bringing another soul into the world. There are no words to describe it.

The next few hours were so peaceful, after a meal,we all slept skin to skin. In the morning Wes and Ivy joined us, fell completely in love with him and haven't let up since. Both are absolutely smitten. These first few moments as a family of 5 are something I will cherish for the rest of my life. We were able to leave by 8:00 in the morning, so it kinda felt like we never even left our house. Transitioning back home went really smooth. We're so in love and thankful to have him here healthy and safe, he has blessed our lives beyond anything I imagined. 

And a huge thank you to our photographer & good friend of mine Stephanie Hitchens